When I Travel I Always Bring…
I traveled every week this past month. Sometimes, weekday then weekend trip. I was definitely tired but I said one thing, “I will not get sick.” I love to travel and am not too sensitive, so I just plow through from business trips, to weddings to graduations. Game face.
Now, May is behind us and there’s one big trip to St. Lucia in two weeks (!) for James’ sisters wedding. We can’t wait.
I’ve made it. Came skidding in, hands in the air, a little disheveled, so many wonderful memories, grateful and many Foursquare check-ins.
Since I basically left my suitcase out all month, I figured these were the things I always wanted to bring no matter the kind of trip or the time of year. It served me.
- Rescue remedy. I’ve written about it before, it’s like natural valium. Calms you, makes you smile and just relax.
- Always a jacket/something warm. I was in Santa Barbara recently and in Colorado it was 80 degrees. I was all, it’s not going to be that cold there. YET – it was breezy and chilly in those vineyards in the Santa Ynez Valley. I wish I had something more substantial besides my little cover-ups. You will always find use for either a hoodie or something warm that you can wear out, or snuggle up to at night. No matter the season.
- Tide Pen. Lord knows I’m a food feign and I’m all up in the local food culture wherever I go, even if the trip is strictly business. I’ll always find time for food. I’m a little messy at times, but James is notorious for shirts getting stains (he wants to open a restaurant one day called, The Stained Shirt). I find that having it in my purse, when we don’t have access to a washer/dryer knocks those stains on their asses.
- Stack my iPad with books. I would rather turn to an extra book instead of my computer, if I have the time to crush a few novels I’ve been meaning to dive into. I love that planes are still not all wireless because it’s like a vacuum of time where there’s nothing else to do (can’t move, gotta read). Stock up.
- Set of work-out clothes. I used to not work out on my vacations and I still don’t all the time, but I find a quick jaunt in the fitness center at a hotel or even a brisk hike/walk along the ocean resets last night’s wine dinner or late night. To have it available (doesn’t take up much space) also encourages me to get my bum moving.
- My vitamins. I was so insistent on not being sick, I brought all my vitamins from multi-vitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D and Cold Snap. Maybe it’s placebo here, but I felt stronger taking them daily (out of small ziploc) and it helped me not go crazy.
- ZaggSparq. I love this thing. It’s charged up and you can charge without being plugged in (read: while on airplane with dyiing iPad or phone, at a restaurant in your purse, etc.). It’s perfect for traveling!
- Snacks. Airport food is still lackluster. It’s nice to have healthy fuel in your carry-on for car rides, airplanes and when you find yourself low on blood sugar, but nowhere near food. I like having healthy things on me, that I can trust.
What about you? What keeps you sane and happy when you travel?